Sunday, October 27, 2013

Are fathers awarded rights simply by signing the Birth Certificate?

By: Riisa

Congratulations, You're having a baby! As a proud father, you have signed your name to the bouncing baby's birth certificate. Its officiall! That means you have parenting rights, correct? Unfortunately that isn't always true. If you are not married to the mother, putting your name as the father on a child's birth certificate does not do much for you. You are now presumed to be the father in the eyes of the law, but the mother retains full custody. Could she move the child to another state without so much as a phone call? Yes. So how do you secure your parenting rights? The first step is a trip to court, where you must file for paternity. Once done, you have formally requested legal decision making rights with regard to your child's future, as well as court ordered parenting time. Essentially, establishing legal paternity will ensure that you are as much parent as the mother is. So how do we start?

Easy. Call or send me an email to schedule a free consultation. We will discuss your case privately, assess your options and move forward from there. I have successfully handled many paternity cases and personally authored numerous parenting plans, all accepted by the court. Remember, establishing paternity is a crucially important step in securing your parental rights. Like most legal processes, it can also be very complicated. Lets talk it through together. 

Call Petersen Law Firm PLLC for a free consultultation at 520-631-3286.
Information provided should not be construed as legal advice nor the formation of an attorney/client relationship